Friday, June 7, 2013

Gutted.

I know that some of you have been waiting for this update… I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get this on here but I wanted to wait to get the final outcome, which we did yesterday.


Let me start from about a week ago- Saturday June 1st… I was 8dp3dt (8 days post 3 day transfer). I got up that morning and took a pregnancy test. I had one box left of Clear Blue Easy Digital tests, the ones that say “Pregnant” or “Not Pregnant.” I wanted to be able to take a picture of that magic test when we finally saw the words “Pregnant.”

Right away a “Not Pregnant” came up.

Oh crap. I was devastated. I got back in bed and sobbed… the hubs had to leave to go and proctor the SAT’s so he wasn’t able to stay and comfort me for long. After a while I turned to my trusty friend Google…

Oh.

It was too early to test.

Hubs was so mad when I sent him a quick email, “whoops just saw online that it was too early to test!” He was like, “why do you do this to yourself? Please don’t take any more tests; you’re just making yourself so upset. That’s why they are having you come in next week!!”

Fast forward to Tuesday June 4th, 11dp3dt.

I went to the clinic for my blood test. I did not take a pregnancy test that morning. I sat at my desk in my office staring at my phone all day willing it to ring. Finally at 2:45 they called.

I got a positive test! I was pregnant!!

But…

My numbers were really low. Like only a 12 low. Yep. Twelve. They usually like to see at least a 50 but anything over 5 is considered pregnant. The nurse said she has seen a few cases where the patient comes back for their blood test again two days later and the number doubles (they would be looking for at least a 20 or higher). She said that one or both of the embryos could have implanted late and to be “cautiously optimistic.” But she also said that in most cases the numbers start to go down and it’s then what they call a chemical pregnancy.

A chemical pregnancy is when some of the cells of the embryo(s) start to produce the pregnancy hormone hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin - which is what the blood test measures). The hCG levels will continue to double every 72 hours finally reaching its peak between 8-11 weeks of pregnancy where they level off at some where close to 300,000. They will slowly start to go down as the baby develops and at about 40 weeks gestation it could be around 117,000 (these numbers are just an approximation, I am sure there are many women out there who have had nothing close to this but this just to give you an idea).

I spent the rest of Tuesday and all of Wednesday praying. Praying my fanny off. Talking to the embryo(s) and telling it/they how much we want them, how much we have prayed for them… about the wonderful life it/they would have if it/they would just hang on and grow…

Thursday morning I woke up and had the brilliant idea to take another test.

Not Pregnant.

Ugh. That probably wasn’t the best idea. I was, once again devastated. The hubs had already left for work so I was alone in my grief. I sobbed in the shower. I just sat on the floor letting the water spray on my back and just let go. I then went back onto the trusty internet and saw that women who have IVF really should not take hpt’s (home pregnancy tests) because they only read very high hormone levels (especially the digital brand I had) and that they are very unreliable in these cases.

Oh.

Well.

Maybe there was still chance? Maybe there was a chance that we would get our miracle and later I’ll laugh about how silly I was with all my crying antics in the shower.

I went to get my blood test (14dp3dt), went to work with a little bit of doubt but was trying to be super hopeful. This could work. This could be it. I was currently pregnant. I was exhausted all the time, starving all the time and my breasts were “fuller” and killing me… they also looked like a road map with all the blue veins that seems to have come to the surface (a huge pregnancy sign). But it could also be from the hormones in the Progesterone in Oil (PIO) shots that hubs had been giving me in the upper butt area since the day after the retrieval.

At 1:50 my phone rang and my heart went into my throat. I thought it must be good news since it was so much earlier than the last time they called.

It wasn’t.

My number was now an 11. The nurse said that since it didn’t go up but instead started to go down that it was, in fact, a chemical pregnancy. I need to come in on Monday June 10th for another blood test to make sure my numbers were back down to negative. She said the doctor needed to meet with the rest of the team and that he will call to let me know the next steps.

I think I said, “thank you” and hung up the phone. I tried to start to get back to work, tried to tell myself that I had taken a test that morning so obviously I knew the outcome and this shouldn’t be such a surprise.

It then came apparent to me that I needed to go home. I needed to get the heck out of there and go home and just let myself grieve. I dashed a quick email to my boss and power walked to my jeep. I started hyper ventilating the second I closed the door. I took a few deep breaths and somehow was able to start the car and go. I kept whispering “Oh my God” and “I can’t believe that just happened” over and over again. I never turned on the radio, just sat there trying to calmly breathe and make it home. I finally pulled into our garage, shut off the car and as the garage door started to roll close I lost it. I screamed with everything I had in my heart. I beat the staring wheel. I cursed everyone and everything.

I just don’t understand why God put this intense desire in my heart to have a child/ren for my whole life and it just seems so unattainable. Why is this so hard? Why are we the couple that can’t conceive? What kind of crappy karma was I working with here? I started to cry harder when I thought about how unfair this all is to my husband. He would make such an amazing dad. I feel broken. I feel unwomanly. We have been going through this for 2 and a half years. Countless doctors’ appointments, medications, self-injections, surgeries, extremely invasive and intrusive procedures… and all I have to show for it is knack for giving myself an injection and 40 extra pounds. Yep that’s the ugly truth; I have gained 40 pounds since I started on all this fertility medication. I kept telling myself that it would all be worth it when I was finally pregnant but here we are at the end of what our insurance would cover and I was still not pregnant but I am the heaviest I have ever been.

At this point I don’t know what we’re going to do. The hubs and I had a long talk last night and we’re going to hear what the doctor has to say but maybe we’ll just take a break for a little while. I have this irrational fear that every day I’m getting older and that my time is running out but honestly I don’t know if I can jump right back into this again. This last IVF cycle was 2 ½ months and it was a long and terrifying journey. I know that if we end up doing this again I’ll be a little more at ease because I’ll know what to expect but at this point we don’t even know what, if any, insurance coverage we have left. I know that it won’t cover it 100% like it has been (and I know how lucky we have been for that) but I’m not sure if it will now cover anything and I’m not sure if we can even afford to pay for this out of pocket.

We’re going to have to take this one day at a time. Actually at this moment I’m going to have to take it one hour at a time. I am technically still pregnant until my numbers go down past 5. That’s a hard pill to swallow.

We were just soooo close this time.

7 comments:

  1. Hi there…….thanks for your post today, I’ve been waiting for your update. I’m really, really sorry. I know that there are no words that anyone can say to make things right. But I can tell you that I feel you so much and that what you are going through is inevitability my fate as well. Tomorrow is my beta, I’ve been so strong willed not to do any HPT’s at home. I’ve done them for over the past 24 cycles and it has gotten me nowhere, so this time I refuse to bite the same bullet. I am ready for a negative test – I just know it will be, in my gut and in my intuition. I’ve like felt this for over a week now and so I’ve been preparing myself for the fact that my first IVF is going to fail which freaks me out because something that was supposed to be my saving grace may not work after all. Is there any hope at all now? If IVF is the holy grail, what do you do if and when it fails? I’m scared out of my mind, shaken to my very core. But amidst my fears, I must keep moving forward, try a few more? I don’t know. Thankful that I have a wonderful husband that keeps me sane and reminds me to fight and that this has always been a journey – not a sprint. Then I ask, when will this journey be over and what will be the outcome? Ask any woman experiencing this and I’d think we’d all agree that is the biggest fear. I have said time and time again, this process doesn’t scare me – just the results. If someone told me that in the end you will have a baby – but you will need to do this a hundred times – I would be all in. That is the strength this process has given me – but at that same time, it’s taken away my light, my optimism, my hopes and my dreams.

    I’m the same age as you (I think a few months older) so I get it. Time is running out. But really, there may be a few good years left of fight in us, don’t you think? You had a chemical pregnancy…………that is really close to it working. In fact, I think if I were to get that result, I would gain even more courage than I have right now. I think you have a shot, a real good chance if you keep trying. The odds are now in your favor, and I think your luck is starting to change. Please don’t give up yet. Of course it’s a huge burden – it has sucked the living daylights out of me and my finances are drained! But you will find a way to make it happen. Save money, borrow money – just please try again. You’ve heard it before, when there is a will, there’s a way. I’m not a gambling person, but here I am gambling for the biggest prize of my life. This whole thing mimics Russian Roulette to me, in which this round it looks like I may have lost – all on red this time, but maybe all on black next time. Who the hell knows.

    I scour the internet every single day, every single hour ever since I started this journey – at times it’s enlightened me, at times it’s confused me, and at times it’s a complete waste of time. But you know how addictions go. Anyway, I recently found a blog that compelled me so much that I wanted to share it with you. It brought tears to my eyes and now each time I feel despair, I read it – and somehow it brings me solace. If you haven’t already come across it, here it is. I think it will melt your heart too. Take good care of yourself and keep me posted.

    http://www.catchingrainbowsfertility.co.uk/2013/05/why-me/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann - I have everything crossed for you for tomorrow!! Do not give up hope until the fat lady sings! You never know. My friend M was convinced after her 3rd IUI that she was def not pregnant... and she just had her baby boy a couple weeks ago. Do not lose hope, it aint over until it's over!
    Our first IVF was a disaster and then they put me on a different medication protocol. This time we were just that much closer, so who knows what the doctor will have us do next. We just have to have faith in the doctors, I mean they are the professionals right? We're not ready to give up. We do not want to give up- I asked my hubs last night and he said "no way." But at the end of the day, us as women, we're the ones who go through all this for the most part. You know how scray and overwhelming this whole process can be. But there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel, right?
    Keep me posted on tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time, you were on the long lupron right? This time they threw in Menopur and follistim? Maybe that's why it was a better cycle. That's my protocol with added Ganirelix and it was really easy - only 1 month long though because we did 2 weeks BC and no lupron. So overall not a bad protocol. I talked to my embryologist a few days ago because I wanted to make sure my extra embryos frooze okay. She actually said that looking at my cycle - she think it was pretty good. And my poor embies on day 3 actually turned into some okay blasts so she is confident that eventually this will work for us. That was conforting - but still...no one feels what a mother feels.....and I just know I'm one of those people that will know when I'm pregnant. But I'm scared that if this cycle doesn't work that will mean that my frozen embies that came from the same batch won't work either. Or worse, what if now I have some crazy implantation problem???!!! How do you fix that!!!

      One or both of your embies really really tried hard for you this time. So, its only fair for them that you try again too. =) I know it will happen for you because fighters who don't give up should get what they want. Input equals Output!

      BTW - I have not one damn symptom at all. All that crapping, sore bb., all of that is due to PIO and I even think my body is adjusting to it now and doesn't even phase it. No spotting, no nothing. All is silent - so let the tears begin =(

      Delete
  3. No with the first IVF I was on just 300iu of Follistem and it was a regular one month cycle. This time I was on the long down regualtion protocol with 4/10 BCP, 4/28 Lupron, 5/10 Lupron, Menupor & Follistem and it was 2 months. So who knows what the next step will be. But there has to be a next step, I can't believe that this is first time this has happened.
    It sounds like from talking to the embryologist that things look really good for you. Do not worry about not having symptoms, most pregnancy symptoms aren't supossed to start until 6 wks, I think the ones that woman experience prior to that is either medication induced or they're just so in tune with "something" happening that every twitch and zing is a symptom. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so it was a negative for me =(. Had a good cry and then moments where I reflect and cannot belive that IVF did not work for me. All those forums that I clung onto when I saw siggies that showed BFP on first time IVF have no more relevance to me and I find that so scary.

    Interestingly, my Dr. said that two things that really contribute to IVF failure: 1. The embryos stop growing because they were abnormal and happens majority of the time (we all know that) and 2. If you went into transfer with a really high E2 level, studies have shown low implantation rates due to the hostile environment that estrogen can cause - it really affects the uterus or something. I found that really different - and I know I had high E2's since I had moderate OHSS.

    I thought I'd update you. So freaking depressing. But we are going to take a month off and then move on to an FET.

    I'll keep following you for updates, let me know what you guys are planning to do next.

    BTW, what clinic are you at? I'm actually in Southern California and am at UCSD Reproductive Partners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann - I'm so sorry my dear. I know how crushing this can be. At least you have frozen embryos so you do not have to go through all the stimming meds or the ER. I also cruize some forums and I def agree that seeing all these people's siggys that show success on IVF#1 is a little depressing... but then I have seen a lot more where pregnancy is achieved with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... just have faith that it will happen for you.
      I'm at the UCONN Medical Center in CT.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, thanks J. Let's just keep on going! We don't have a reason to stop yet, right?.......Let's just pick ourselves back up, brush it off, and continue. That's my plan for now. What else am I going to do? I figure, things probably get tough with zero chance around 40.....so you and I have a few more years left in us. Let's fight!

      Delete