Friday, May 10, 2013

Annnnnd... GO!

After 12 days of 10iu (international units) of Lupron, I finally got my period last night.
Let’s get this party started!

I went to the doctor this morning for blood work, baseline (internal) ultrasound and a consult with the nurse about the treatment plan. First I have to say, I love my clinic. The IVF nurses are so nice – the one I saw today totally took the time to sit with me for 30 minutes and go over everything and was so sympatric about losing all of the embryos last time.

She said that on the treatment plan for this cycle it says that the oxygen level for the embryos are to be at 5% - she said that the doctor would only write that if he thought that might have been a contributing factor last time (it’s always at 20%. 5% is what it is inside the womb). Also in the notes it said that upon review of the case they feel that my follicles matured too fast last time and I was triggered too late – that when they did the retrieval they thought that my eggs were too large. So along with the new medication protocol, the 5% oxygen for the embryos I am going to be triggered a day earlier this time (triggering means a shot of HCG which will force the follicles to release the eggs. I will also do a shot of Follistem that evening too).

So let’s talk about the meds… I will be giving myself 3 (THREE!) shots a night. Last time it was one. I have never given myself more than one shot at a time. Oh boy – I am going to run out of room on my abdomen! I’ll be doing 5iu of Lupron, 150iu of Follistem and 75iu of Menopur (starting tonight). I go back for blood work on Monday (cd4) and then blood work and ultrasound on Wednesday (cd6). Last time I triggered on cd9 because my follicles matured quicker than they thought, it’s usually 12-16 days. So who knows when I’ll trigger this time? I’m not sure when my ER or ET will be (egg retrieval / embryo transfer). I’m both excited and nervous… I am happy we are finally getting the process started but I’m of course nervous because of what happened last time. I’ll also start the castor oil packs tonight… can’t wait to see hubs reaction to that! He’s usually is like,” what… are you doing?” Then I tell him whatever crazy thing I am doing and why and he just rolls his eyes – HA!

I’ll keep you posted - xo

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck! I start 75 Menopur and 100 Follistim on Monday......I finished my b.c pills on Wednesday but no AF just yet. I'm not sure it will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann :) did your doctor tell you when to expect AF? I still hadn't gotten it by the afternoon on day 12 of Lupron (5 days after finishing bcp) and my doc was having me come in for blood work the next day... But then AF showed the night of the 12th... do you go in to see your doc before starting the stims?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny you ask! My doctor said to except a period between my last pill to the day I was to start injections.....but then I started getting nervous because by Friday it still hadn't started and I was so worried that it would delay starting my stims. I emailed my Dr. and told her it wasn't coming and she said she was positive it was going to show up over the weekend. Sure enough by Sunday evening it came. Never have I been so happy to see AF! Anyway, I did get some bloodwork done last Friday for estrogen and it came back <20, I think that means the BC worked to suppress me. Did you have your baseline checked as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep had my baseline done at the appointment on Friday (above) :). cd6 today and I can already feel something happening, getting very bloated. Had blood again yesterday (Monday) and they didn't change my meds. I go back tomorrow for blood work and an ultrasound - will be very interested to see how many follicles I have :)

    ReplyDelete