Friday, August 9, 2013

Weight Watchers

Well the Paleo hasn’t been working out the way that I had envisioned. It is a lot harder to be on that strict of a diet when your spouse if not than I had anticipated. I ended up cheating a lot more than I had wanted to so I decided that this isn’t for me at this point. It’s a wonderful diet and I felt really great when I was doing it but it’s so hard to do it when your spouse (and pretty much anyone else you spend time with) is not on board.

My friend K at work mentioned that she wanted to do Weight Watchers and I thought it would be a great idea if we did it together. There is a meeting on Thursdays at 5:45 that works out perfectly with our schedules. Our friend D is also going to do it as well but she’s going to do it online. I’m very excited to try this – I did it about 10 years ago and lost a bit of weight but I heard that the new program is a lot better. It’s hard for me when the hubs wants to order pizza and I’m struggling with: “do I just toss the diet out the window and have pizza too?” or “I guess I’ll get the house salad which is really just iceberg lettuce, some onions, tomatoes which have seen better days and a couple cucumbers – yum.”

The new program is touted as a “lifestyle” not a “diet.” I mean, look how good Jennifer Hudson looks! I follow her on Instagram and she definitely eats normal stuff… including pizza and ice cream! I am going to try and incorporate the “good fats” like I learned with the Paleo. Who knows, maybe that’s something they talk about as well? I’m not a fan of processed foods so that might be hard but the majority of fruits and veggies are “free points” so that’s really great.

I have to do something. I went to a big box store with my sister-in-law on Wednesday and I saw the reflection of someone standing next to her and it took me a couple seconds to realize that it was my complete side profile… gut, butt and all. Yowza. You know it’s bad when you don’t recognize yourself. Le sigh. I had lost a lot of weight (60lbs) about 8 years ago. I started to go to the gym every single day and I was very diligent about what I was eating. But that was before I had a 9-5 job, a husband and a house to take care of. It seems like there aren’t enough hours in the day and if I have an extra 2 hours I’d like to spend them with my love not going back and forth to a gym. I do, however, get up and hour early every day and walk on the treadmill. I would really like to get into running but I feel like I have too much bulk on me for that right now – lol. Once I lose some (ok, a lot ) of weight I want to give it a try.

When hubster and I started dating I wanted to woo him over with all my cooking skills – cream sauces included. It certainly wasn’t the low fat/low cal cooking I had been doing for myself. By the time we got married I had gained about 30 pounds. Then when we started the infertility treatment it was a slippery slope… I tried hard to eat well and ignore the intense hunger and cravings I was having all the time on the medicine… well… here we are 40 pounds later and my gut/butt are bigger and still no baby :/
Yep. There’s the quick and dirty. I gained A LOT of weight on those meds.

I have a friend who is starting IVF in September and she is very weight conscious (I think she border line has an eating disorder and I’m not even exaggerating) and I have not told her how much I gained on the meds. We haven’t seen each other in years but rekindled our friendship over Facebook when she message me and asked if we were having fertility issues… I think that’s how we started chatting… anyway we now just text. ALL. THE. TIME. The doctor told her she had to gain 6lbs before she can start IVF and it completely freaked her out. So yeah, I’m not telling her about it because I don’t want her to have any more on her mind than she already does/well with the whole IVF process.

Anyway- I looked up WW and pregnancy and WW doesn’t recommend that you stay on program while pregnant but I found a couple blogs where the woman were on WW and then got pregnant while they were still overweight. They used the WW tools to make better choices while pregnant and added more points/calories to their daily goal. I don’t know- I’ll look into it more if I get to that point. I’m sure my OBGYN will let me know what I can and cannot do.

We are going to start on the week of the 19th… I need something to obsess over to keep my mind off the baby business! I’m sure I will incorporate this next adventure into my blog… so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment