Friday, April 19, 2013

Work It Girl

**First, let me put in a little disclaimer that any product that I talk about on my blog I am not, in any way, compensated for.  I am just a suburban gal going through IVF who has a little blog hoping to help others with my experiences.
When I went through my first round of IVF I pretty much was a lump on a log.  They scared the crap out of me at the IVF informational seminar about being very careful with movement while on the stim meds.  Your ovaries get very big because of all of the follicles (where the eggs are) and there is a chance of them twisting (eek) if you do a lot of bouncy movement.  So no running/jogging, spinning, step aerobics… no running down the stairs… but you can walk. 
I was helping my mom go through some of her stuff (trying to consolidate and throw stuff away) and I found some old VHS tapes of Leslie Sansone and Florine Mark from 2000 called “In Home Walking.”
 

It got me thinking, this is something I can do during the IVF cycle.  So I brought it home and the next day got up an hour early to try them out.  Well… they’re hilarious.  I seriously think they did an SNL skit based off these tapes.  I was cracking up – the commentary is funny but then it’s almost awkward because you realize they are not trying to be funny.  But the walking itself was easy to do, you’re moving around and it’s a gradual workout – meaning you start off slow, pick up the pace and then go back down.  I will admit that my heart rate went up and I had a little sweat going on.  But I could not see myself doing these more than this one time (hey, at least I’m honest with myself!).
I then remembered that I had a friend years ago who lost a lot of weight with something called “Walk Off The Pounds.”  Low and behold… it’s my friend Leslie Sansone.  So I went onto Amazon and found some of her DVD’s (love love love Amazon, I have the Prime membership and if you’re an Amazon junkie like me, totally worth it).

These are the two that I bought.  Let me tell you, a vast improvement from the 2000 VHS!  I like them both for different reasons. 
The one on the bottom (Walk Away the Pounds, Ultimate Collection) came with a resistance band.  She incorporates it into the workouts, starting during the second mile.  It’s nice to have an arm workout in there.  As with the VHS tapes the people that are doing the workouts with her are ordinary people.  I am sure they are all actors but I mean there are people of all ages on there (young mother – grandmother).   Not model thin, not with every hair in place – they look like someone I might see at the grocery store.  Also, contrary to the misconception, you are not just marching in place.  My friend Danielle is convinced that it’s a DVD of just marching and won’t borrow it, haha.  It’s considered “low impact aerobics.”  It’s not complicated – I was a Zumba drop-out so if I can do this, anyone can!  I tried to take a couple Zumba classes, gave it the good ol’ college try, and was tripping over my own two feet and thanks to the large floor to ceiling mirrors; I could see that I looked like a complete moron while doing it.  Not sure how I look doing this but I’m in my own home so I don’t care!  It’s also something you can do in a limited amount of space, which I think is a plus.  The commentary is a little cheesy – not like the VHS tape but a little cheesy none the less.
The one on the top (Just Walk, Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan) is the one I did this morning.  (I like to switch them up)  This one has a different group of exercises for each day of the week, for example:  Monday 2 mile walk with arm workout, Tuesday 3 mile walk with leg workout… I believe there is an ab workout, a total body stretch and something else…   Anyway, I really like this one because the moves are more like dancing – once again, Zumba drop out here so not that complicated to follow or really that advanced.  You don’t have to stick with segments either – for example today I did one day’s 3 mile walk and then another day’s arm workout.  What I do not like about this is that instead of everyday people there are 4 backup aerobics girls.  One of the girls particularly annoys me.  (Makes total sense that I’m annoyed by someone I don’t know in real life, right?  Of course it does.  Ha)  Carrie “the annoying one” does all these exaggerated movements and a lot of excessive nodding, always agreeing with everything that Leslie says.  LOL.  The commentary on this one is even more annoying so after I did the work out a couple times I now mute it and put on my own music. 
As much as the cheesy chit chat is annoying the workouts are good so it’s a good trade off.  Let me also say that I am not a work-out-aholic.  I was once-upon-a-time in very good shape, then I met my husband and wooed him with my fantastic cooking complete with cream sauces and full fat recipes… then got a job where I sit on my big butt all day in front of a computer… so now, not in the best of shape.  Hey, at least I’m honest about it!  So I feel like these workouts are better than nothing and something I can do in the comfort of my own home. 
I honestly think that I can modify them to be less bouncy and more “Giant Ovary” friendly but I’ll have to write that review when the time comes.  But I think this time around I am going to try and be a little more active than going the couch potato route – even if I’m gingerly marching-side-stepping-leg lifting-knee lifting in place.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment