Wednesday, February 13, 2013

IVF... ready or not, here we come...

I never thought I would be so happy to get my period.  2/4/2013... we finally started our IVF cycle!  I am on 300iu (international units) of Follistim which is 2x as much as I was on at my highest dosage when we did the IUI's.  The doctor is really happy with my progress and I am happy that I have kept my hormones in check, at least at the work place, and no one has been hurt or maimed, lol.  I had surgery 1/3/2013 to help correct the shape of my uterus (it was heart shaped versus the normal triangle).  The shape impacts the lining (what the fertilized egg will attach to).  In the past the best mine has been was only a 6.5.  This cycle my lining is 8.5!!!  Wowza!  8 is optimal so it looks like this is all going our way!

I had started off with one shot of the meds in the stomach in the evenings and now I'm onto 2 shots (two different meds).  The one in the a.m is to trick my body into waiting to ovulate to give my follicles time to grow and the one in the p.m is to help my follicles multiply and get nice and giant.  How giant you ask?  Well at my last scan (I go every day for blood work and ultrasound) I had 20 (twenty) large follicles.  Holy. Crap.  Considering in a normal unmedicated cycle you produce one follicle that's pretty crazy.  I also look like I'm 4 mos pregnant.  I did say 20 giant follicles.  So my stomach is huge and very firm (instead of the jelly that my gut usually is, haha).  Thankfully my sister in law lent me 3 huge tupperware bins of maternity clothes.  I've had to take out some pants to wear, especially to work.

Tonight, Wednesday, I do the trigger shot (HCG).  This is what primes my body to ovulate.  Then Friday morning I go in for the egg retrieval (ER).  I'm nervous because it's a surgery (I'm knocked out with propophol) but excited at the same time.  They go through my uterus to my ovaries and take the egg out of each follicle.  Hopefully those 20 follicles have some nice size eggs in them.  It's very hard to not be so optimistic!

No comments:

Post a Comment