Saturday, February 16, 2013

we might have a football team...

Had the egg retrieval yesterday.  Not that bad.  I will be honest, it was a little scary but considering all of the surgeries I've had in my lifetime and while on this journey... and considering what the outcome of this is (a baby!) it wasn't that bad.  It only took like 20 minutes and with the propophol it felt like I took a really great nap.  Haha!  The 20 follicles had 18 eggs, so it was a very good outcome.  Whoomp!!

The nurse just called and out of the 18 eggs obtained, 17 were mature and 10 fertilized.

Whoa... 10.  Embryos.  Ten Embryos.

That doesn't automatically mean 10 babies but it certainly means a good number of possibilities!  Now we wait for Monday morning - at which point the nurse will call again by 9:30 to let us know if we go in that day (3rd day after ER) or Wednesday (5th day after ER) for the transfer.

Did I mention how awesome science is?  The doctors did something called ICIS - I don't remember what it stands for (you can Google if you're so inclined) but what it basically means is that they took my husbands sperm and injected it into my egg.  Usually they just put the egg and the sperm into a petri-dish and let them figure it out but because our insurance only covers 2 IVF cycles our doctor wants to give us the best possible shot.  That whole thing just blows my mind, that they can actually force the sperm to snack on the egg, haha. 

We are elated with this news.  I cannot help but get excited and I cannot help but think that in a few days I will be, in a sense, pregnant since they are going to be transferring a fertilized egg into my uterus.  Hopefully with my lining being as great as it is the little embryo (or embryos) will burrow in there for a nice long 9 mos stay.

Yes, I said embryos.  The thing is is that if they decide on a 3 day post ER transfer then they put in 2 embryos.  If it's a 5 day post ER then they put in one.  If by Monday morning the embryos are slowing down in their development they will transfer 2 inside that day (day 3) because they do better in the natural environment.  Statistically the chances of pregnancy are better when 2 are put in on day 3 and more times than not only one embryo attaches (I don't know, the buddy system perhaps??  Once again, Google if you must).  Day 5 transfers are a blastocycst at that point and if one is transferred then there is a good chance that with my super awesome lining it will burrow in there.  <squeeeee!!!>

Monday seems very far away (yes I'm being dramatic, it is Saturday) but I am just so excited!!  Tonight my husband has to start to give me the shots of progesterone in oil in my upper butt area.  He isn't looking forward to having to give me a shot (I'd be worried if he was) but as I have been telling myself since the first injection I had to give myself months ago... it's all for the best possible outcome, our dream of a family :)

I cannot believe that we are so close... I cannot believe that this is going to actually happen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment