Friday, February 22, 2013

Ovaries before Brovaries

Life throws you curve balls, there's no doubt about that.  When you get smacked in the face with one of those suckers that's when you realize who your true friends are.  This whole nonsense with infertility is no different.  I have a couple friends who I thought I would be friends with until we were old biddies that have suddenly fallen off the face of the earth.  It's not because they are bad people or no longer care - it's because it gets to a point where they don't know what to say.  If you haven't gone through this, if you haven't ever wanted a baby so badly it makes your heart hurt - especially if you never wanted kids in the first place - you don't know how to react to someone going through infertility.  It's ok, I don't fault them.  It's just a shame they they made the decision to just walk away instead of sticking around.

This experience has made me closer to a couple of my husband's friend's wives who also have gone through (and conquered) infertility.  I have two women who check in on me often and who I know care deeply about us and who are praying for us.

There's one person though who I know no matter kind of suckiness the universe throws at me will always be there.  We have been friends since we were 3 and my brother tried to run her over with his BMX bike.  Haha.

When my father passed away before Christmas 11 years ago she was the first person I called and I swear she was at my mother's house before I even hung up the phone.  I was her bridesmaid and gave the speech at her wedding.  She would have been my Matron of Honor but had the nerve to have her baby 2 days before my wedding (haha just kidding of course).  We have cried on each other's shoulders more times then I can count.  We post silly pics to each other's Facebook pages just because we know the other will get our sick and twisted humor.  Recently she posted a quote from the TV Show Parks & Rec (she's a big Amy Poehler fan):

You know my code:
Hos Before Bros.
Uteruses Before Duderuses.
Ovaries Before Brovaries.  

When I saw that I just about fell off my chair, it's so hilarious and so perfect!  We no longer live in the same town and it's sometimes months between visits but as soon as we get together it's just like we've never been apart - we make each other laugh until our sides hurt and through the magic of the interwebs and texting we're always in some sort of contact.

I have kept her in the loop of this whole IVF fiasco and told her of the loss of all of our embryos.  I got an email from her this morning that simply said: 

"if you find out it's your eggs I would be willing to donate mine you if you want them."

I cannot even put into words the magnitude of that statement.  Just like that - if you want them, you can have them.  Bam.  I know that if, God forbid, the tables were turned I would do it for her in a heart beat but just to hear her say it... touches my heart more than I can even say.  She's such an amazing person, the sister of my heart, the mom I hope to be some day... she's got the coolest little girl and I hope that we can eventually (soon) have play dates with not just us but with our kids.

I love you forever Mrs "went-on-a-year-long-strike-when-we-were-13-wearing-nothing-but-leggings-until-her-parents-bought-her-Guess-Jeans."  Looking forward to 60 more years of friendship and terrorizing our loved ones when we're old and grey just cause we can :)

[and Lord help you if Little Miss is as stubborn as you were- lol xoxo]

1 comment:

  1. sux that not everyone stuck by you but ur lucky to have sucha good friend

    ReplyDelete